Rockstar Games has just broken a new record as they have announced that Red Dead Redemption 2 had the single-biggest opening weekend in entertainment history.
The game made over $725 million worldwide in just the first three days on sale. It is now the second highest grossing entertainment launch of all time trailing only Rockstar Games other hit title, Grand Theft Auto V. That game made over $1 billion in the first three days it was on sale but because it released on a Tuesday it didn’t get that weekend opening record.
Sony and Rockstar Games of course have teamed up to promote the game on PlayStation 4 and provide players on that platform with select exclusive online content 30 days before any other platform. The game broke numerous other records including a bunch of PlayStation Network records.
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.
The game has also been a critical hit as it currently has a 97 Metacritic rating based on over 80 reviews. We are working on our own review that you’ll be able to read soon.
Have you been playing Red Dead Redemption 2? Let us know in the comments.