Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that worldwide sales of their PlayStation VR hardware have passed 4.2 million as of March 3, 2019.
PlayStation plans to continue supporting PlayStation VR well into the future as well and today they revealed the next wave of games launching for the platform over the course of Spring and Summer 2019.
I’ve included details, release dates, and trailers for each of these titles below. Many of them look really good such as Ghost Giant, Falcon Age, Trover Saves the Universe, Everybody’s Golf VR and many more.
Table of Tales: The Crooked Crown (PSVR) – Release Date: April 16
Determine the fate of a party of scoundrels in an RPG adventure that brings tabletop gaming to life in PlayStation VR.
Table of Tales: The Crooked Crown for PlayStation VR VR is an RPG that brings a magical table to life before your very eyes! The Table grants you the power to guide a party of Scoundrels through the dangerous and intriguing realm of the Crown Islands! YOU will determine the fate of the Scoundrels through tactical, turn-based combat! YOU will roll dice and determine whether they overcome the challenges they face or find ways to deal with consequences when they can’t!
What is the Table
The Table is a magical, mechanical artefact that allows the seated player to experience the myriad worlds and adventures it contains. When its power is harnessed, the surface of the Table comes to life, transporting the player to a world of swashbuckling and sorcery! Players can navigate the perils of The Jewel Islands by sailing around the high seas of The Crown Archipelago, watching as the table magically fills with water that becomes a raging ocean! They can decide who to befriend and who to betray, engaging in daring combat, calling on the strengths of each member of the party to pull off magnificent combinations and seize GLORIOUS VICTORY!
Who are the Scoundrels?
- Nuna – There are four scoundrels that could make up your party. First, Nuna! We’re fairly sure that’s not her real name, and we’re not sure how she obtained her powers of dark sorcery – tearing the fragile fabric of reality and letting whatever lurks beyond through!
- The Hammer – Next we have the Hammer. She’s the tank – the meat shield. The muscle. Every party needs one! The Hammer likes getting things done. Particularly when those things involve using her fists. She’s brutal, fast and unforgiving.
- Thomas – Up next is Thomas, a genius when it comes to potions, but far from savvy when it comes to…well, just about everything else. He’ll mix up anything for anyone…for the right price, of course! The Scoundrels would be lost without his healing tonics and experimental mixtures. What else would they do when they need to blow things up?!
- Horatio – Finally, there is Horatio Nine-Lives the Thrice Blessed. No, it’s not a real title: not a real title; he came up with that name himself. What he lacks in humility he makes up for with charm, finesse and enough flashy moves to keep an entire platoon of the City Watch distracted!
Falcon Age (PS4/PSVR Compatible) – Release Date: April 9, $19.99
Falcon Age is a first-person single-player action adventure. As Ara, learn to hunt, gather, and fight to reclaim her cultural legacy in the lost art of falcon hunting against a force of automated colonisers. Players will explore a strange land while bonding with their falcon and helping the resistance.
The game starts on a dying colony planet with its culture destroyed, resourced depleted, and turned into a desert by machine invaders. Ara’s been wrongfully thrown in jail for a minor infraction. While she awaits her fate in a lonely cell, she passes the time by befriending a young falcon. Together they escape and set off on an adventure to help the resistance reclaim their freedom and drive off the invaders.
PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR
Falcon Age will be making its debut on PS4 in 2019. It’s built from the ground up specially for PS VR using Move Controllers or a DualShock 4, or PS4 and PS4 Pro using a DualShock 4 and standard FPS controls. We want to give gamers options on how to experience the unique world of Falcon Age with custom tailored support for different playstyles and devices.
Trover Saves the Universe (PS4/PSVR Compatible) – Release Date: May 31
Partner up with Trover to save the universe.
Wonderful. Your dogs have been dognapped by a beaked lunatic who stuffed them into his eye holes and is using their life essence to destroy the universe. Does that make any sense? You following me on this? Well, either way…only you and Trover can track this son of a b**** down, so you can get your dogs back, save the universe, and then beat your little ringle shnluders off together…IF you know what I mean. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (to be clear, not talking about masturbation here.)
Beating off your ringle shnluders isn’t gonna be easy, but that’s not really important to this game-overview write-up. Really just taking up unnecessary space, so let’s move on to discussing your partner Trover, a little purple eye-hole monster. Collect power babies and plug them into his little eye holes, IF you know what I mean. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Not sexual. The power babies give him upgraded abilities, you pervert.)
- Control Trover AND yourself in a strange mix of first- and third-person action.
- Upgrade Trover and yourself with new abilities as you progress.
- Action platforming and combat.
- Meet and talk to lots of weird characters along your journey.
- Explore bizarre alien worlds.
- Tug your little ringle shnluder :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (first game ever to have this feature).
- PS VR AND PS4 supported. Essentially two games in one!
Vacation Simulator (PSVR) – Release Date: June 18
The year is 2060. Following record enrollment in the Job Simulator, robots set out to uncover what else humans did besides ‘job’. After years of balancing buoyancy levels, cataloguing campfire chronicles, and securing ski slope safety protocols, their research led to the creation of a rough approximation of ‘not jobbing’: the Vacation Simulator.
- Experience Vacation Island, your destination for optimal relaxation and/or efficient memory-making!
- Customize a virtual YOU for picture-perfect selfies!
- Wave to interact with a colorful cast of Bots!
- Enjoy RECREATION beyond the theoretical limit in immersion-inspiring destinations!
- Splash in the silicon sea and bask in simulated sunlight, all without getting sand in your… hands!
- Get lost connecting with your roots, nodes, and branches… then get actually lost on a hike!
- Elevate your ice-sculpting skills to new heights and reach peak cozy by knitting mittens for a snowhuman!
- Exist in a comfortable, all-inclusive VR experience— free of motion sickness AND seasickness!
Five Nights at Freddy’s VR: Help Wanted (PSVR) – Release Date: April
Five Nights at Freddy’s VR: Help Wanted is a virtual reality adaptation of the critically-acclaimed survival horror video game. The virtual reality adaptation, coming to PlaySation VR, Oculus, Steam, and HTC Vive in April 2019, will feature new experiences that highlight the incredible original game and each episode of the one-of-a-kind series.
“I’m incredibly excited to bring Five Nights at Freddy’s to virtual reality and give fans a new way to experience the franchise,” said Scott Cawthon, founder of Scottgames.
“We are huge fans of Five Nights at Freddy’s and also recognize the original games’ design is perfectly suited for virtual reality. The title is an impeccable piece of video game mastery,” said Creative director and co-founder of Steel Wool Games. “We’re thrilled Scottgames and Lionsgate chose us to lead the development of this project as it’s a game we’ve idolized.”
“For as long as we have been talking about virtual reality here at Lionsgate, we’ve dreamed of helping bring Five Nights at Freddy’s to virtual reality,” said Daniel Engelhardt, Senior Vice President of Interactive Ventures & Games at Lionsgate. “The original games are tailor made for virtual reality. It’s a beloved franchise.”
Steel Wool Games is a leading virtual reality developer known for projects such as the motion-physics game Bounce, educational simulator Mars Odyssey, turn-based strategy game QUAR: Battle for Gate 18, and more.
Jupiter & Mars (PS4/PSVR Compatible) – Release Date: April 22
Dive into the future: play as Jupiter and Mars, two dolphins on the adventure of a lifetime!
Jupiter & Mars is an underwater adventure set in a future-Earth in which everything science warned us about has come to pass: sea levels have risen from melting ice caps and climate change. As a result, the coastal cities are all but completely submerged. Since man’s disappearance, the oceans have begun to reclaim themselves, with coral and nearly extinct creatures returning to their once-thriving levels. But the artifacts of man’s once-formidable presence still remain, and an elite race of whales known as the Elders enlist Jupiter and Mars to help neutralize a global network of semi-functioning bases and machines that are disrupting sea life. Along the way, Jupiter and Mars will meet legendary creatures, perform incredible feats, and maybe even live to tell the tale. Jupiter & Mars is being developed in partnership with acclaimed ocean organizations SeaLegacy and The Ocean Foundation, who are providing the game with exclusive content.
Jupiter is a female dolphin with enhanced echolocation powers that lets her see through murky waters, beyond solid objects, and into the heart of the deepest oceans. She’s inquisitive by nature, and a problem solver. Mars is her partner in life, alert and ready for action. They complement each other in more ways than one. In their journeys they meet the Elders, an ancient and powerful race of whales that asks the agile and intelligent dolphins to help them in their quest to shut down the remaining, still-functioning mechanical legacy of mankind’s past.
Echolocation to see in the dark, and an AI dolphin partner.
Use enhanced Echolocation powers to see what lies beneath the surface. Pierce through the murky underwater mystery with a dolphin’s sonar-like capabilities. Use your partner Mars’ Ram ability to get yourself out of tight spots, to bust open a wall, or to pop that oyster shell open and discover hidden secrets throughout the game.
Everybody’s Golf VR (PSVR) – Release Date: May 21
Developed by Clap Hanz in association with SIE Japan Studio, players will use the DualShock 4 or PlayStation Move motion controllers to swing their virtual golf clubs.
PlayStation VR allows players to experience the world of Everybody’s Golf in ways they have never been able to before: getting a better sense of the terrain, reading wind direction to evaluate shots, and more.
Mini-Mech Mayhem (PSVR) – Release Date: June 18
Mini-Mech Mayhem is a deeply funny tabletop virtual reality battle game for up to four players online.
Team up with your lil’ Mech buddy to plan a flawless strategy, then marvel at just how wrong you were!
Not to worry, play some power cards to get your team back on track, or dare to trust in your instincts and crafty skills, and pull off a stunning win!
- Boasting online multiplayer functionality for up to four players, Mini-Mech Mayhem has a highly accessible strategy component with deeper underlying mechanics and heart-warming humor at its core.
- Free chat with social comfort features, combined with huge customization options for both mech and avatar, mean that players can present themselves how they wish in a safe and pleasant VR environment.
- Music is produced by leading video game composer Joris de Man, whose previous work includes Horizon: Zero Dawn, Killzone, and FuturLab’s own Velocity 2X.