Basics of Blackjack
The popular game of Blackjack is one of the most played casino games. It is played with one or more 52-card standard decks. The aim of the game is to get a hand total closest to the value of 21 without exceeding it and beating the dealer’s hand.
The cards are assigned values as 10 for Face cards, 1 or 11 for Aces and all other cards count their face value in the basic Blackjack game.
Basic Blackjack Strategy
The basic Blackjack Strategy relies on knowing when to Split, Surrender, Double, Hit or Stand. Each player is dealt with two cards on each hand, and one of the dealer’s cards is dealt face down. The winning tactics of Blackjack require that players play each of their hands in an optimal way and the Blackjack Strategy is hugely dependant on the dealer’s up-card.
An Ace and a ten being dealt at the beginning of the Blackjack game is known as Blackjack. The player with a Blackjack wins and wins an amount that depends on the casino.
- Whenever the dealer’s upcard is a 7, 8, 9, 10 or Ace the player should keep drawing until reaching a total of 17 or more.
- When the dealers have an upcard of 4, 5 or 6 the player is required to stop drawing on getting a total of 12 or higher.
- This Blackjack Strategy is to never take a card if there is a slight chance of busting.
- The player should stop with a total of 13 or higher when the dealer’s up card is 2 or 3.
The Basic Strategy for Doubling Down
- The player should always double down when on a total of 11.
- For a total of 10, the player has to double down, unless the dealer has a ten-card or an Ace.
- If the total is 9, the player should double down only if the dealer’s card is between 2 to 6.
- A pair of aces or 8s should always be split by the player.
- Both identical ten-cards and pair of 5-value cards should not be split.
- A pair of 4-value cards should not be split as well.
- Pairs of 2, 3 or 7 value cards can be split only if the dealer does not have an 8, 9, ten-card or an Ace.
- The pair of 6s should never be split if the dealer’s card is not between 2 and 6.
Types of Blackjack Strategy
Bold Blackjack Strategy – In this kind of Blackjack Strategy, the player is a favourite to win money on a hand and splitting it will mean more money won.
Defensive Blackjack Strategy – This Blackjack Strategy is more of betting to cut the players’ losses.
Offensive Blackjack Strategy – Using this Blackjack Strategy, players can do offensive pair splitting and turn a losing hand into a winning one.
Blackjack as a simple game, gives the opportunity for players to have an enhanced gaming experience using high strategy.