Capcom has announced new details about the Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Expansion including the release date, price, and much more.
The Iceborne expansion will launch on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on September 6 and will follow later this winter on PC. It will cost $39.99 for the expansion or $49.99 for the Digital Deluxe version that comes with Deluxe Kit that contains more cosmetic options. Check out the new trailer for the expansion below and read much more about what Capcom has in store for players.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is the highly anticipated massive expansion* to Monster Hunter: World, the bestselling Capcom title of all time with more than 12 million units shipped worldwide adding to the series total of more than 53 million units to date. This gargantuan follow-up rivals the gameplay volume from the original release and features a new icy setting, storyline, monsters, gameplay options, and more.
The game’s all-new story picks up after Monster Hunter: World and whisks hunters away to the newly discovered chilly locale that, once fully explored, becomes the largest region in World so far. The new locale is home to several new and returning monsters ready to challenge hunters throughout their expeditions, and raises the stakes with the added higher difficulty Master Rank. Iceborne continues the skill-based progression and robust crafting system found in World , and expands that with several new gameplay features that broaden the player’s combat repertoire. All this leads to the ultimate hunter test against the mysterious new flagship monster, Velkhana.
- Massive Volume of Content – Iceborne builds on every aspect of World with a wealth of new challenges and surprises.
- New Story Introduces Hoarfrost Reach Locale – Picking up the plot from World , hunters will travel to a snow-covered terrain which progressively expands with the story, eventually becoming the largest region in World so far.
- New and Returning Monsters – The new locale is home to brand new frigid climate foes as well as returning fan favorites joining the Monster Hunter: World lineup. Leading the pack is the new flagship monster Velkhana, an elder dragon with powerful ice attacks that is a pervasive threat in the new story.
- Master Rank difficulty option – A brand-new quest tier above High Rank that makes new and existing monsters more ferocious than ever.
- Added Gameplay Mechanics Deepen Combat – Options for the Slinger tool have been added including a Clutch Claw grapple move and Flinch Shot that stuns monsters. With the new ability to use the Slinger while the main weapon is drawn, new strategies and opportunities are available for combat.
- Expanded Weapon Options – Each of the 14 weapon types will get new combos and new elements, offering new depth to master.
- New Gear and Items to Craft – Added monsters means hunters will have new materials from which to craft equipment as they take on new quests and challenges throughout Hoarfrost Reach.
The Iceborne expansion builds on every aspect of Monster Hunter: World, starting with an all-new story that picks up after the main game and whisks hunters away to a newly discovered chilly locale called Hoarfrost Reach. The snow-covered terrain offers an ecosystem that contrasts areas in the main game and progressively expands with the story. Iceborne is set to offer the largest region in the game so far, presenting hunters a wealth of new content with even more quests to face than in the original release.
Iceborne also introduces the new higher difficulty Master Rank, a brand-new quest tier that makes new and existing monsters more ferocious than ever. The extreme cold is also the setting for brand new frigid climate foes such as the horned brute wyvern Banbaro and the snow-buried Beotodus. These interweave with returning fan favorites such as the swift-attacking Nargacuga who adds some dangerous new tricks to his trademark move set as he joins the Monster Hunter: World lineup. Leading the pack in Iceborne is the mysterious new flagship monster Velkhana, an elder dragon with powerful ice attacks that is a pervasive threat in the new story.
To ready players to face the expansion’s fierce hunts, several new gameplay options have been added to broaden the player’s combat repertoire, creating opportunities for exciting new hunting strategies. The Slinger can now be used while the main weapon is drawn, regardless of weapon type. New features have also been added for the Slinger such as the Clutch Claw used to grapple onto monsters with more direct control and the Flinch Shot which unloads Slinger ammo to stun monsters. Each of the 14 weapon types will also get new combos and new elements, offering additional depth to master in combat.
The Monster Hunter: World base game is required and while Iceborne players will be able to enjoy some of the gameplay options such as the Slinger and weapon updates right away, they must have completed the main story through Hunter Rank 16 in order to access the new Iceborne story and quests.
For Existing Owners
The Monster Hunter World: Iceborne expansion will be available as digital downloadable content for $39.99 / €39.99.
A Digital Deluxe version including both the expansion and a Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Deluxe Kit downloadable content of cosmetic items will also be available $49.99 / €49.99.
The Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition containing both the main game and the Iceborne expansion is available to pre-order at retail and will be available for purchase digitally at launch for $59.99 / €59.99. For European retail pricing please check with individual retailers.
At North America retail only, the Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition Deluxe option that also includes the Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Deluxe Kit downloadable content in a Steelbook will be available for $79.99.
A special Yukumo Series layered armor set bonus is available exclusively for early bird customers.