Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled will be racing to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch next week but Activision and developer Beenox announced today that there will be post-launch content to look forward for the game.
The game will get free seasonal post-launch support in the form of Grand Prixs. Think of these kind of like a battle pass in other games where you’ll earn points during the season to unlock new racers, skins, and much more. One of the things coming is Spyro the Dragon as a playable character. Beenox put up a great post about all of this over on the PlayStation Blog but you can read those details below.
Grand Prix Content is not only new, but it’s also introduced by Chick and Stew
We know you’ve got questions, and luckily, we’ve got some answers. But first, let’s give a warm welcome to Chick Gizzard Lips and co-host Stew — ace rooster commentators for CTR TV, your Crash Team Racing news channel! Yes, the chicken reporters from Crash Tag Team Racing are back and settling into their new roles as hosts for each new season of content! Simply tune in to CTR TV through the game and listen to Chick and Stew introduce each Grand Prix, explaining all the different challenges and rewards you can win by simply participating!
We’ve Got Grand Plans for the Grand Prix
What is a Grand Prix in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, exactly? Think of it as a themed season, constructed around a newly-themed track with a number of different challenges to undertake. Finish a challenge, and you’re awarded Nitro Points (think of Nitro Points like Experience Points). Complete more challenges to continue to fill that Nitro up. When you’ve filled Nitro up to certain levels in your Nitro Gauge, rewards are earned. Examples include new characters, karts, skins, and kart customization items.
You’re easily able to see your Nitro Gauge in the game, which shows your progress, the items you’ve earned along the way, as well as the ones you’re still driving toward! Just keep playing the game to complete these challenges and fill the Nitro Gauge before the end of that Grand Prix to earn every challenge reward. Challenges include top speed, power slide, reverse, and other competitive challenges, and they vary from easy to quite hard, increasingly testing your skill as the season goes on.
If you reckon you’re the best Bandicoot in the racing business, it’s time to prove it: with global leaderboards for every Grand Prix Season, you can compete to be the best in the world and win special in-game reward items!
Redeem Those Wumpa Coins: Head to the Pit Stop
As well as completing Grand Prix challenges to earn Nitro Points, filling up the Nitro Gauge, and unlocking a specific set of rewards every season, you can also earn Wumpa Coins by participating in Grand Prix challenges too. As you learned a couple of weeks ago, as you gather these Wumpa Coins, you can redeem them in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled’s Pit Stop for even more items.
Speaking of the Pit Stop, we’re also excited to announce that during each Grand Prix a new set of items will be introduced to it, like even more characters, kart sets, wheels, paint jobs, decals, stickers, and skins. With this, players have the ability to redeem their Wumpa Coins to play as racers that go beyond the original CTR and to find many unique ways to customize their characters and karts.
Season 1: Time to Get Warped — Welcome to the Nitro Tour!
Now that we’ve laid the foundation for what the Grand Prix is, let’s dive into the first Grand Prix, set to launch on July 3! It’s called the Nitro Tour Grand Prix and features a track called “Twilight Tour”, which reimagines the Ancient Egypt and Arabian Town levels from Crash Bandicoot: Warped—so look for some familiar sights and sounds as you’re racing!
Season 1: Say Hello to Tawna Bandicoot and the Nitro Squad!
This one has been difficult to keep as a secret for so long! We’re excited to announce that as well as an enthralling new track to perfect in the first Grand Prix, players are also able to earn Tawna the Bandicoot as a playable character. Players are able to unlock Tawna by earning Nitro Points during the first Grand Prix, and are also able to earn an amazing new Motorsport Tawna skin which lets the world know that she means business!
In addition to Tawna, players will be re-introduced to Ami, Isabella, Megumi, and Liz. Together, they are now known as the Nitro Squad (formerly known as the Trophy Girls in the original Crash Team Raicng), and are now characters that you can race with! They can be unlocked using Wumpa Coins in the Pit Stop during the first Grand Prix. These global bandicoots hail from all over the world, and are ready to compete! There will also be new Motorsport skins for them as well, to really show off their speed and style.
Season 1: More than Just New Characters
In addition to the new characters, you will see a bunch of other items that will be a part of the first Grand Prix, including international-themed items for players to show their national pride, new kart parts, and even the return of Le Chaux, the fan favorite kart from Crash Team Tag Racing!
In short, make sure that starting on July 3, you are beating challenges in the Nitro Tour Grand Prix to fill up your Nitro Gauge, keep earning those Wumpa Coins by playing any mode in the game, and make sure you are heading to the Pit Stop to see what’s new!
Looking to the Future
That’s a deep dive into the first Grand Prix season, but as teased today, this is only the beginning! We have some incredible Grand Prix seasons coming up, including one that revolves around everyone’s favorite purple dragon… (if that doesn’t excite you, I don’t know what will).
Crash is back in the driver’s seat in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled! On June 21, 2019, get ready to go fur-throttle with the legendary Crash Team Racing experience that kicked kart racing games into high gear. The fully-remastered Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled includes the modes, characters, karts, tracks, power-ups and controls that fans remember from the original game, plus a whole lot more. Fans will not only enjoy the kart racing fun of Crash Team Racing but adding to the gameplay experience at launch will be redesigned and remastered characters, karts, tracks, battle arenas, and battle modes from Crash Nitro Kart. The muscle-memory will immediately kick in as players power slide, jump, and whiz around corners just like they did in the ‘90s.
- Compete Online – Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled brings fans together via online multiplayer racing. Up to eight players can race online and Crash the competition with online leaderboards. Players can choose from Crash, Coco, Dr. Neo-Cortex, and more for their high-octane adventures.
- Crash Team Racing and Beyond – When we said Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled was fully remastered plus a whole lot more, we meant it. Beenox has adapted all thirteen original tracks from Crash Nitro Kart and more to match the original Crash Team Racing experience for fans. Now players can re-live the ‘90s with remastered characters, karts, battle arenas and battle modes from the original Crash Nitro Kart in stunning HD glory.
- Trick Your Ride and Racer – Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled offer players a variety of ways to mix and match kart bodies, wheels, paint jobs, stickers, and even add decals to karts. In addition to the ability to customize karts, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled will also let players customize their racers with N. sane character skins. This will allow players to adorn their characters with a zany sense of swag and personality. Also new to the experience are unique podium animations available to certain skins making celebrating victories even more amazing. Players will earn customization items by playing through the Adventure Mode and also by collecting in-game Wumpa Coins to swag out their kart and characters in the game’s Pit Stop area.
- The Grand Prix – With new seasonal content introduced to Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled players have many reasons to come back and play. A Grand Prix is a themed season built around a newly themed track and different game challenges. Completing each Grand Prix challenge awards Nitro that allows players to fill up their “Nitro Gauge” (XP), and earn rewards such as new characters, karts, skins and kart customization items. The track in each season can be played online or locally from that season on. But we didn’t stop there, reimagined karts and inspired tracks from Crash Tag Team Racing are also sliding their way through the Grand Prix in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled!
- Fur-K Fur-Real – This game has all the beloved characters, karts, power-ups, tracks, and arenas from the original Crash Team Racing, now in stunning 4K*, bringing an insane amount of detail and life to the game they remember.
- Set the Mode – Adventure, Single Race, Cup Race, Time Trial, and Battle Modes are back. Now all multiplayer modes can also be played with friends both online and offline.
- Nitros Oxide Edition – In the Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled – Nitros Oxide Edition, the self-proclaimed fastest racer in the galaxy, Nitros Oxide**, will be a playable character from day one. Players can also race with Oxide’s Hovercraft**, space-themed skins for Crash, Coco, and Cortex. Additional content includes:
- Crunch, Zem and Zam characters**
- Exclusive Crunch Robot Skin with unique podium animation
- Exclusive kart paintjob
- Exclusive kart sticker pack
- Exclusive Hovercraft kart decal
*Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled will be upscaled to 4K on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, as well as in HDR on PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and Xbox One S.
**Can also be unlocked in standard version of game through in-game challenges and rewards.