The latest and highly anticipated entry into the Mass Effect series Andromeda has been no stranger to leaks but the latest gameplay leak is definitely one of the biggest yet. We already know the new title will not feature the character of Commander Shepard and the game’s storyline will actually take place a significant amount of time after the events of the original trilogy. If the gameplay leak that is apparently footage from 2014 is anything to go by, it definitely spells good things to come for Mass Effect Andromeda.
The last major leak came from a Reddit user around 4 months ago and shed some light on some crucial details of the game. The mods on the Mass Effect subreddit did verify the source’s proof at the time so it’s safe to say this is certainly more reliable than some leaks out there on the internet. The leaked information held a number of interesting details regarding the story and certain gameplay elements. Here’s a recap of the leaked information for those that might have missed it:
- The player can have 2 squad mates as before, and a human blonde and a krogan were mentioned specifically by the leaker
- All squad mates will come with jetpacks to help aid in exploration
- Omnitool has more functionality including a combat shield
- Character facial features and models will be much more detailed than before
- Cover is now fully destructible thanks to the Frostbite engine
- The Normandy ship will not be returning
- Potential Mako customization
- The main character may be known as the Pathfinder, which fits with the theme of finding a new home in the galaxy. The player character will also have their own quarters section on the ship
- The old galaxy map will be replaced by a new ship travel system where players manually fly the ship
- Enemies are described as a bipedal cross between Vorcha and the Collectors
- The non-human enemies were described as dropping into combat from Cerberus ships
- One of the antagonists is a human soldier with armor similar to the main character but without the N7 insignia
We also got more information from a leaked EA survey that recently leaked online which hinted that the game will feature the Pathfinder (new protagonist) on a mission to the Andromeda galaxy, located far beyond the Milky Way and the human civilizations of the first three Mass Effect entries. The new game will feature at least two new alien species, one good and one bad, in addition to formerly featured races like the Krogans, Salarians, Turians, and Asari, but the focus of the new title will place the role of foreign invader squarely on the shoulders of the human lead character for the first time ever. The beginning of the full synopsis reads as follows:
“Mass Effect: Andromeda takes players to the Andromeda galaxy, far beyond the Milky Way, where players will lead the fight for a new home in hostile territory, where WE are the aliens, opposed by a deadly indigenous race bent on stopping us. Experience the freedom to traverse and explore a planet-dense but seamless open-world galaxy, rich with discovery. Play as the leader of a squad of military-trained experts in an intense third-person shooter, with deep progression and customization systems. This is the story of humanity’s next chapter, and player choices throughout the game will ultimately determine our survival in the Andromeda galaxy.”
On the 2nd of April we got the first gameplay footage leak for Mass Effect Andromeda thanks to NeoGaf:
While many disputed whether or not this gameplay was real or not, known insider Shinobi602 commented on the gaf thread saying that “This is around a late 2014 build. It doesn’t look like this now.” This helped add legitimacy to the leaked gameplay footage and, while it may well be outdated footage now, it does give us a glimpse as to what we can expect from the highly anticipated Mass Effect Andromeda. Considering you couldn’t even jump in previous Mass Effect games, the Jet Pack is a very welcome implementation indeed.
The leaked gameplay footage also showed off some fairly impressive engine work of the Frostbite engine such as ambient flame bursts, fog elements, rain impacts, impact of meteorite, and FumeFX. While the gameplay footage is outdated, it’s good to see some gameplay footage since EA and Bioware are being so secretive with Mass Effect Andromeda and we don’t expect a full gameplay reveal until EA’s Play Event which will take place June 12th to June 14th.
Are you excited to see more Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.