Electronic Arts has all the praises today as the publisher of the recent Star Wars: Battlefront revealed during an investor’s’ earnings call that a sequel to the brilliant online shooter is to debut in 2017. These were teased earlier this year, however today they were confirmed with few initial details. The first (well, third) Star Wars: Battlefront game was released last November for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC and so far has sold more than 14 million copies. Not only did they mention a sequel is on it’s way, EA noted that a new action game based on the Star Wars universe is to come in 2018, this is to be developed by Visceral who are the highly acclaimed studio behind the Dead Space series.
However EA is far from done with the original Battlefront, with three more expansion packs to follow – adding Bespin (coming with the Cloud City and Lando amongst many other new additions) which is to hit this Spring. DICE, developers of the Battlefront and Battlefield series will have their hands full this year with the recent announcement of Battlefield 1.
EA’s very own Blake Jorgensen said during the earnings call that the prequel, Battlefront 2 will have “bigger and better worlds”. He also added that “the new movies” will be featured in the content, however didn’t name any – this will be a brilliant new addition as the first Battlefront features content only from the original Star Wars trilogy.
During the call, Jorgensen said that EA had plans to release at least one new Star Wars game every year for the next three to four years (I know.. awesome, right?). If you thought that wasn’t enough, there was also mention that the developer of the much beloved Titanfall series, Respawn, had recently announced a third-person action-adventure Star Wars game however no details were provided on what it could entail or when it would launch.
On May 6, 2013, the Star Wars game under Visceral Games (child company of Electronic Arts) was confirmed to be in production and is yet to be titled, however it will feature an independent story that could be from any previous or upcoming Star Wars movies and will use the Frostbite 3 engine. It was also confirmed on April 3, 2014 that Amy Hennig had joined the project as a creative director as well as Todd Stashwich later on in the same month. It was revealed that the two were going to be working together on the game’s storyline – this is great news as both had previously worked together in the Uncharted series. In June of the same year, Scott Warner joined the project as the game’s director and in July 2015, Jade Raymond announced her new EA subsidiary Motive Studios would be working on the game alongside the Visceral Games developers.
Disney has plans to release a new Star Wars movie every year through to at least 2019. The next of these planned movies is to be the spinoff, Rogue One, hitting cinemas in December, while Episode VIII is set to premier in 2017. That’s all we know so far, however stay tuned as we will update you as soon as we know more information about the games.
Are you as excited to see what these games bring to the market? What kind of things are you looking forward to? Do you think there are improvements that could and should be made to the first Battlefront game – perhaps the addition of a story mode? Let us know down below in the comments, we’d love to hear from you!