Publisher Athlon Games and developer SNK released Samurai Shodown today, the latest entry in the long running fighting game franchise.
The also released the full details for the Samurai Shodown Season 1 Character Pass. The Character Pass will include four fighters that will be released through the rest of 2019 and early 2020. You can see the exact fighter and the month they will be released below.
- August 2019 – Rimururu
- October 2019 – Basara
- December 2019 – Kazuki Kazama
- February 2020 – Wan-Fu
There is a special limited time deal that you should take advantage of right now too. Everyone can download the Season Pass for free right now until June 30 whether you own the game yet or not. Once June 30 passes the price will go up to $19.99 so best to grab it now even if you won’t be buying the game until some time in the future.
SNK and Athlon Games also released the launch trailer for the game which you can watch below. Samurai Shodown is available now on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and will be released on the Nintendo Switch and PC sometime in Q4 2019.
Marking the first release in the franchise since 2008 and over 25 years since the release of the original, Samurai Shodown returns with its signature, unforgiving approach to weapons-based combat. This new Samurai Shodown “reboot” features a returning cast of 13 fan-favorite characters and three brand new characters at launch, further unlockable characters in the Season Pass, a range of competitive in-game modes and a true evolution to the fighting genre and the series in Dojo Mode.
Along with the traditional Versus Battle Mode, Samurai Shodown offers a range of modes for players to sink their blades into, including:
- Practice Mode: Players can learn the ropes in a tutorial and hone their skills in training mode.
- Online Mode: Friends and foes alike can battle online in a variety of competitive modes.
- Story Mode: Players can witness each character’s unique journey through 18th century Edo-period Japan as a new disaster threat looms over the land.
- Battle Mode: Host to a variety of challenges including Versus, Time Trial, Survival and Gauntlet modes, players looking to test their skills will be pushed to the limit here.
- Dojo Mode: After enough matches have been played, players can compete against their own ghost, other players’ ghosts, and then share their ghost data to online leaderboards.