In recent years, gaming VPN services have become increasingly popular. In addition to protecting you from DDoS attacks from opponents, the best VPN for gaming can do a lot more invaluable things for you. It is common to experience poor internet connections, and ISPs often target high-bandwidth users such as gamers with connection throttling.
Typically, this is done to make sure each customer is getting similar speeds, and as a result, those who utilize greater bandwidth get penalized. If your speeds fluctuate a lot, you may be a victim of network throttling. Using a gaming VPN can help eradicate this by anonymizing your traffic – your ISP won’t be able to tell what you’re doing and, therefore, won’t throttle you.
Very few tools can match a VPN when it comes to protecting personal data. When gaming with a VPN, you are guaranteed to reap all its benefits: a new IP address from a different part of the world, a hidden IP address, and an encrypted internet connection. Here’s a guide to gaming VPNs to help you determine whether to augment a VPN in your gaming setting.
What is a Gaming VPN
VPN is an abbreviation for Virtual Private Network. It’s a form of security utilized by thousands of gamers and streamers. One VPN can vary since some are paid for while others can be used for free.
VPNs can help hide your location and assign you a temporary alternative IP address offering a more secure connection to the internet for your devices. A VPN can also encrypt your data and redirect it through its channels, guaranteeing the information gets where it needs to go safely.
A VPN can protect you from DDoS attacks and minimize the risk of being a swatting victim when used in gaming.
What Are the Different Types of VPNs
VPNs aren’t one-size-fits-all, and subsequently, there are several types of VPNs, each serving different purposes. Here are the main categories that VPNs are classified into:
- Intranet-based site-to-site
- Extranet-based site-to-site
- Remote access VPN
Businesses often use Intranet-based site-to-site and extranet-based site-to-site while individuals frequent the use of remote access VPN.
How Does a Gaming VPN Affect Your Gaming
A VPN can affect your gaming experience in several ways. Here are some benefits of augmenting a VPN to your gaming regimen:
- Evading bandwidth throttling
- Protection from DDoS attacks and Swatting
- Safety on public WiFi
- Evading IP bans
- Reduced lag and ping times
- Access to every game; even those banned in your country
- Avoiding geo-restrictions on newly released games
- Gaming online from anywhere
Just as using a gaming VPN can be advantageous, it also has a few disadvantages:
- Some countries restrict the use of a VPN to a certain degree, while others prohibit VPNs. This means you would have to find out whether or not using a VPN is legal in your country
- Some games might not work with a VPN; therefore, you can only use a VPN in specific games
What You Should Look For in a Gaming VPN
VPNs are built differently from each other, with some outperforming others every step of the way. When choosing a gaming VPN, there are a few things to consider:
- Speed: Although using a gaming VPN isn’t guaranteed to enhance ping times, it’s better to use a fast VPN rather than a slow one. Look for a VPN with fast servers in your area, near your location, and in a place, you might need to pass as your IP address
- Stable Connections: It’s essential to invest in a VPN provider that is committed to invariant improvements and server maintenance
- Security: It’s vital to use a gaming VPN that wouldn’t leak your data. Go for a VPN that offers super-secure AES-256 encryption – the same security used by governments and banks around the world
- Reputation: Your VPN provider is responsible for your data, so choose one that’s reputable
There’s Something For Everyone
Using a VPN is highly beneficial, especially in gaming. Once you determine that VPNs are legal in your country and the game you want to play allows the use of a VPN, go through available VPN options to find one that works for you.